Saturday, August 24, 2013

Basket of Flowers

To begin, I had chosen four vases to fit onto the blocks, and now I needed to add more images to fill the rest. Thinking of what a real flower shop displays and has for sale, I wanted to add lots of flowers.

Having drawn and prepared several applique pieces, I began to try them out. The first layout shows the vases placed on the green blocks and a few flowers lain out on the brown blocks.

VASES ON GREEN BLOCKS


One goal in mind was to have vases filled with stemmed flowers that were ready for creating flower arrangements. So, how to go about this….
With these tall, black vases, I tried several layouts; here are two of them. Even though I liked the idea, I just wasn’t impressed with using black. I found it too harsh. So, then what….

ADDED FLOWERS IN TALL VASES #1
 

ADDED FLOWERS IN TALL VASES #2


Having introduced baskets in the above layouts, I figured that was a nice addition to the vases. My next query; was how to arrange them properly.  
After a lot of adjusting and figuring out what to use for my stemmed flowers, I was ready for the final options.
This layout was working well, and after deciding that I’d place each group into rows, this is what I thought would work the best. Here’s a sneak peek at part of the final layout:

FINAL LAYOUT IN PROGRESS


Don’t get me wrong, every slight adjustment did look good; sometimes better and sometimes another great alternative. What I did need to do was make a final decision and fuse each block’s images in place. As at some point, we must move on to the next stage of the process. 
Check back next week, when I’ll show you the completed quilt.

…..
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment